I wrote earlier this year about working in a cubicle, surrounded by neighbors on speaker phones or engaged in animated discussions. In general, I'm able to tune it out, a skill I developed in my newspaper career. The newsroom when I started out was an open pit of noise, with manual typewriters (yes, that long ago), reporters working the phone and editors shouting across the newsroom.
But there are still times one longs for an office for the solitude, if not the privacy. Thanks to colleague Chris Nay, my faithful blog reader, here are some tips he found for working in a cube:
* I put on headphones and listen to a playlist I created for background music while I'm editing.
* Try placing an orange cone (much like the ones used by the traffic department to block lanes, only smaller and more lightweight, in the entryway of your cube. Everyone in my office knows the orange cone means "Do not enter, do not cross the threshold, do not disturb."
* Pop in my ear buds and drown them out with one of two favorites: Benedictine chants, which is soothing and inspirational, or Japanese taiko drumming, which is highly energizing.
Please weigh in with your own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment