Jun 28, 2010

Meeting? Breathe deeply

Early in my IBM career I attended a course in effective meetings, with an unusual twist. The objective was to provide tips on being an effective meeting participant; in other words, how to help move the meeting along and focus on its intent.

I was reminded about this a few days ago when I read many people report that meetings are one of their greatest energy drains. We can all do with fewer meetings, but when that's not an option, there are actually tips for preparing yourself accordingly.

Experts say simple 'meeting prep' techniques include establishing the appropriate mindset by setting your intentions before the meeting, performing a few quick physical movements to build energy and stimulate creativity, and even strategic snacking to enhance brain function.

Before your next meeting, start with simple breathing – deep, slow breaths through your nose – for several minutes. This will quiet your mind, reduce your stress, and help you enter the meeting fully focused. You can also use this breathing technique throughout the meeting to help you stay balanced, energized, and engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment