|
My
father was a stickler for language, including pronunciation. Drop the
‘g’ in recognize, the ‘r’ in library [li-bear-y] or February [Febuary]
and I’d hear about it. To this day, mispronunciation of certain words
is jarring, so I took notice when I saw this blog about one writer’s pet peeves.
1. Ex-CAPE. I flee when I hear this version. Same with "ax," as in "Let's ax for an extension."
2. Sim-U-lar. Either "sim-ah-ler" or "simler" are fine, according to the 10th edition of Webster's Dictionary.
3. Mis-CHEE-vee-ous. Never understood this one. Where does that extra syllable come from?
4. IN-ner-resting. Also In-ner-net.
5. NUKE-u-lar. Needs no comment.
6. Per-SCRIP-tion. Watch for "pre" and "per" mix-ups in general.
7=8. SAM-wich. Get salad instead.
8. ASS-trick. Can you figure out what this is supposed to be? (Hint: you get a star if you succeed.)
9. PRAH-straight (instead of prostate). Insert dirty joke here.
|
Sep 28, 2012
You say tomato
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment